San Francisco Downtown Senior Center - 2018.06.01
About the San Francisco Senior Centers
San Francisco Senior Center (SFSC) was founded in 1947 and is the oldest nonprofit senior center in the nation. Our mission is to provide elder San Franciscans culturally and linguistically appropriate opportunities for lifelong learning, healthy living, and social and community activities that foster independence and self-reliance.
There are two sites: the Aquatic Park Center, located on the Bay by Ghirardelli Square, and the Downtown Center, in the Tenderloin. Every year thousands of participants come through the SFSC’s doors. What all of SFSC’s participants want is socialization, companionship, and intellectual, physical, and emotional stimulation.
The Downtown Center location of SFSC was the first senior center in California to receive funding from the Older American Act, opening in 1966. In November 1985, the downtown location relocated to 481 O’Farrell Street, tripling its space for programs, social services, and offices.
Chuck's Published Photo Shoots and Interviews
I have been photographed, interviewed and featured over the years in magazines, news papers and news letters. As you can see, it started when I was six years old on the farm and attended the one room school in northern Illinois. I even was interviewed by the New York Times and had a photo shoot for publication about the tech build up of San Francisco. Plus, I have been featured in Museum Quarterly Magaines and company news letters. The latest is a feature of my participation in flower arranging of all things, at the San Francisco Downtown Senior Center for veterans. T-Mobile asked some of us to arrange flowers and then T-Mobile would give them out to veterans as a thankyou for the service they gave to the country. Check out my latest claim to fame!
- 1946 - Life Magaine Photo Shoot and Cover of the Magazine (Opens in a new window.)
- 1983 - Blue Cross News Letter
- 2008 - Freeport Journal Standard
- 2013 - Asian Art Museum Photo Shoot & Interview (Opens in a new window.)
- 2014 - The Extra Newspaper of San Francisco
- 2015 - New York Times Tech Buildup Interview & Photo Shoot (Opens in a new window.)
- 2017 - San Francisco Museum of Modern Art - Chronicle Newspaper and Photo Shoot
- 2018 - San Francisco Downtown Senior Center Monthly News Letter - (See Below)
|Created on: 2018.06.13||
||Updated on: 2018.06.13|